Sunday, January 3, 2010

With malice toward none, with charity for all...

“With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”

So ends President Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address. Some one hundred forty five years have past since he said them, but still these words are a powerful call to action that every American should rally around.

At this turning of the page and beginning of a new year we all set priorities and refocus ourselves to achieve goals that each one of use has determined. Some with loose a bad habit others will start good habits. Many of us will try to strengthen the bonds we have with our families and communities that have been renewed by the recent holiday season. Some will succeed in there goals, others will fall short. Our nation is enriched not only by those that succeed, but sometimes more so by those that fail. Excuse my hubris but here are some of mine.

I hope this year Freedom and Liberty will continue to advance across the globe to the nations that have not known it.

I hope this year all those whom toil for Justice will see their labors bare fruit.

I hope this year that we care for those who have been wounded in our nation’s battles.

I hope this year that we care for their orphans and mourning families.

I hope this year we are able to become pure of heart and inspire purity of heart in others.

I hope this year that we are able bear the burdens of righteousness so as to spread it in our world.

I hope this year that art and science reveal even more of the Truth

I hope this year brings relief to those that have suffered in this economic recession.

I hope this year that we will take more steps on the road to peace and not turn from it.

I hope this year that the gift of mercy is given to us all.

May all of you have a Happy New Year!


No comments: